Project #2: Photo Reference

 

These are a few of the reference photos we took as a group that I am considering for Project #2. We tried to create shots that allowed for back lighting, a lower camera, and hopefully, some interesting details to refract.

Photography Group Members:

  • Kaitlin
  • Anushka
  • Kevin
  • Joey
  • Solomon
  • Owen
Advertisements

Project #2: Initial Tests

These were really quick shader development test renders, using the lighting set up from Project #1 and the Stanford Buddha and Stanford Lucy models.

Shot #1: Lucy Angel Statue and Buddha statue for comparison

beauty_angel_shot_01_28

Shot #2 : Shader development tests

Here I was trying to achieve the same light purple tone as the outer surface of my rock.

rock_test_01

Shot #3: Shader Development Tests, Interior and Exterior Shaders

For this test, I duplicated the sphere, scaled it down, and applied a new shader to it so that I could start to achieve the idea of geometry within the sphere.

rock_test_02

Shot #4: Refraction values on initial shader

Index of Refraction is set to 1.54, roughly the equivalent of quartz. Most polished/tumbled rocks from museums are quartz or a similar material.

I also found with my current lighting set up that the lighter the refraction color was, the more accurate my overall shader seemed to look. Darker refraction colors ended up rendering way too dark and it was hard to capture a look of transparency.

refraction_info_test_01

Project #1 Summary

Final Render for Class 6:

soccer_ball_final_composite

Issues:

  • Ambient Occlusion in Nuke — worked on this afternoon and was able to fix node tree.
  • Environment shadow wrap — shadows don’t seem to line up with scene and once included in the Nuke node tree, seem to lighten or disappear altogether.
  • Pre-multiplication and artifact problems
  • Ground plane geometry — I worked on modeling a similar ground plane, but it doesn’t match perfectly.
  • A ground plane with a surface shader was accidentally left in the keylight layer, altering the shadow pattern and causing the objects to become too bright underneath.
  • Noise

Project #1: Progress, First AOVs

This was my first attempt at separating my test renders into different AOVs. For these shots, I also included my soccer ball .obj file so that I could start to see how the object would look in the scene.

The original photo image is projected on the ground plane for these test renders.

Beauty AOV:

beauty_1_15_for_blog

Direct Diffuse AOV:

direct_diffuse_1_15_for_blog

Direct Specular AOV:

direct_specular_1_15_for_blog

Indirect Diffuse AOV:

(*Still an issue with noise)

indirect_diffuse_1_15_for_blog

Indirect Specular AOV:

(*Still an issue with noise)

indirect_specular_1_15_for_blog

Project #1: Photo Set 1/14/2017